Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Migraines

So last night I had the second worst migraine of my life. The absolute worse was in Amherst and that time I actually blacked out and woke up 4 or 5 hours later. This one was bad. Hell, it may have been worse, but I'm assuming second best because I didn't pass out this time. It actually started pretty early on and I got that small lead up for about 4 hours before the main event kicked in. And I'm here to describe how a migraine feels from the inside. Specifically, this last one. It started hours before the actual migraine. I'm at work and I'm getting a headache. It's not terrible and it doesn't seem localized except maybe towards the front of my head. I deal with it. About an hour into it I go to lunch. While out I opt (foolishly) not to pick up Advil. It just feels like a sinus headache. They pass. This one didn't. Now, sinus based headaches are primarily pressure based. That's what this one was. Behind my eyes there was pushing. Nothing intense, but constant. Then, a little later the sharp pain starts. It's just a jab now and then to start. The stabbings emanate from the center of the pressure areas. Oh, and now the pressure moves. It shifts from the front of my head to the right side and then tightens as if tying itself down. I deal with this while I go out and get my hair cut. It looks good, I think. Anyway, by the time I get back home I've developed what feels like a second sinus cavity on the back of my head. Still the right side. And now there's more stabbing. Instead of the sharp pain feeling like a stab and then going away now it feels like it's always there but it twists when it gets bad. And the building pressure is there there, let's not forget. So now I'm on the couch in the dark and I can't really move. You see, whenever I move it feels like I've stood up to fast. But instead of just a bit of pulsing in my temples it's that incredible pressure. We're dealing with 3 kinds of pain here, all cycling around. Pressure, sharp and twisting. By the way, with this much pain I have trouble hearing sounds and everything smells faintly of copper. At this stage the senses go nuts. I can't make out words, but every sound from the TV to people walking outside have the same volume level: loud. I was a little light sensitive before but by now it feels like I'm looking in a light even though the lights are off an my eyes are closed. The cycle is different now. Before it was always pressure with the stabbing fading in and out. Now it's all pressure, stabbing and twisting hard, both of those fading down in the duller moments. Allison is worried (who wouldn't be?) and I try to respond. I can make full sentences in my head but I can only manage to push out parts of words. Which is OK because she can speak in full sentences but I can only hear every few syllables. I can't tell you how long it stayed at the bad part. I got home around 5:45 and it's almost done at around 10. Time is completely skewed. I can't move because my head gets worse, but I my arm is getting sore from clamping over my eye and gripping the couch. Earlier I had downed 1.5X the recommended daily allowance of Excedrine Migraine. I choose not to take Codine because last time I had something similar (Hydrocodone) it didn't do a thing except make my stomach say "Um....". That's about it, but looped for 4 hours without being away of the passage of time. And the thing is, I can't figure out my trigger. I've had attacks in Amherst, the Israeli desert, at work. There doesn't seem to be any sort of environmental constant to explain it. I hope this give you people a good idea of what a migraine is like if you've never had one. And if you have, dis this convey the feeling well? Oh, and yarr for those of you who do that sort of thing.

No comments: