Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Actually, you probably would like me when I'm angry.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of outrage from some people on the whole guns in movie theaters thing.  Reactions have tended to be polarized; either apathetic or fury.  I'm still on the side of fury.  Just to broaden the field a bit I figured I'd toss out a few more recent events out in the world of the mundane that enrage me (most of them via boinboing). Before I rattle these off I just want to make a short point.  I get it when people are for the environment but pass over an e-mail petition.  Pro choice but don't make it to a rally.  Don't write their congressman when a bill comes up in the news that they don't agree with.  That's "big politics".  Ideas that make their rounds but don't touch you personally... yet.  But guns in movie theaters.  Uneducated law breakers working for the MPAA to make your completely legal leisure time not only a bother but also potentially lethal? All in the name of protecting commercial interests of the big movie distributors through methods of dubious legality themselves?  That's not "big politics".  That's people fucking with you your rights at this moment. Ok.  Here's the list of things that are in other people's back yards.  If you're not mad after this post and the one before it then...  Well, everyone gives up sometime. Some colleges are now in bed with the RIAA. They don't have to turn over records, but some are doing that as well as making students pay for getting warnings. Not violations. Accusations. A man was detained for not showing his receipt while leaving Circuit City (which you are in no way obligated to do).  The officer that he called for help then arrested him for not showing his drivers licensce while walking, also something that you are not obligated to do.  Once more, fuck the police. A "Green Friendly" concert event forced people to throw out 100s of bottles of water.  I've been to concerts where you're not allowed to bring in water.  This is one of the worst and most widespread security policies I've ever seen. A (now outdated) map of botched raids in the US.  Botched here includes raiding the wrong houses and arresting people without charging them. Welcome to the future. I promise my next post will be lighter.  Not for you, but because I can't take this anymore.

No comments: