Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2006

A quick update from the outpost

       This will be a fragmented update as my life doesn't have much of a linear flow at the moment.  The biggest thing is that I will be going to ComicCon.  I got a free 3 day pass from work and I think that qualifies me as hot shit.  Don't worry; you the viewer are yourself justified in your envy.  Of both my ComicCon excursion and my proper use of the semicolon.  Bitches.  I 've been working on my schedule and think I may take the con solo.  My tastes differ from most going (not graphic design or game or anime or manga oriented).  I am taking the panel discussion/comic writer/film screening route.  I am more a connoisseur than a fanboy.  If you ask anyone I like or work with (wink) then you'll know that I have not been this excited over an event since the president was chocking on a pretzel.  Ah, good times those were.  

       Moving backwards in time, I recently had a lovely Valentines day.  Al and I went ahead and celebrated it on the 10th, thereby beating the rush.  It was lovely, though there were some rocky instances dealing with trains.  We went to see The Producers.  It was funny.  Most of you know how I feel about Mel Brooks, but this was still good.  Comparisons to the movie don't apply.  What does is the energy it was assembled with.  The book, music, sets and all that.  Very well done.  In my own personal universe this sets the bar for a standard.  That may sound like a backhanded compliment but it's not.  Kudos, Mel.

       I've started a new book.  Well, not exactly new.  It was published in '98 and I bought it a few months ago.,  But I just found it in an old back-pack.  So it's new to me.  Anyway, I started it tonight and came across this entry:

         I tied to copy other children but lacked their tough skin.  I was a glove turned inside-out, softness showing.  I was the visceral place between mouth and bowel, the region of digestion and rumination.  No doubt it is my spleen that refuses to locate the seat of reason in the head.  No doubt it is my natural acidity that fears the milkiness of the heart.
       This story is a journey through the thinking gut.
 

And that is just sexy.  The book is called GUT Symmetries.  It plays on both the physical gut, the emotional seat of intuition and the G.U.T. (Grand Unified Theory).  It's romance, poetic prose and quantum physics.  Just a few pages in and my review is "lick this book". 

       In other book news, Trickster Makes This World is coming along beautifully.  I'm loving it, taking notes and readying myself for a series of short stories that have been turning around on the wheel for quite some time. 

      That's about it for now.  I hope to get some writing done this week.  It's been a while since I've been able to give myself time and put things down.  Maybe a portfolio for a newspaper application...

No comments: