Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Books you should have already read: The Atheist's Guide to Christmas




I adore this collection of essays. It’s not just for atheists. It’s not all about Christmas. And there’s something for everyone. Everyone everyone? Yes. I pretty much hate Christmas and still loved this book.

What I mean by that is the book is broken up into sections. There's:


  • Stories
  • Science
  • How To
  • Philosophy
  • Arts
  • Events
This breakdown is what makes the book so great. It's not that each story or essay isn't wonderful. It's that depending on who you are it might be something similar to what you've already read or it might just be out of your interest area. I, for example, skimmed most of the Events section while taking my time in the Arts and Stories and How To areas.

This really is a good anthology. One of the funniest stories in here is "How to Have the Perfect Jewish Christmas". It's a great anecdote that both lambastes and celebrates some weird issues I have found in Judaism with a great use of the term "kestrel". "An Atheist at the Movies" is a fun run through atheist cinema and Phil Plait's "Starry, Starry Night" is deliciously nerdy and touching. Simon Le Bon's "Losing My Faith" is nice introspective recalling of losing his faith but finding himself intact. And do yourself a favor and read "How To Understand Christmas: A Scientific Overview". Really.

See, something for everyone. The Events section came across as a bit too dry to me but it might strike your fancy. And even if it's not your usual subject, give the Science section a go. It's got some great pieces in there. Even if atheism isn't normally your thing I would still recommend this book. It has a lot of truly universal essays on finding yourself, the value of family, and how much tradition should count for. If the word "atheist" turns you off then just replace it with "humanist" and try again.

Bonus trivial: It's the first ebook that my wife read

No comments: