Pages

Friday, June 19, 2009

TV to watch

A while back I did a big write up about new television shows that I was going to follow. This time around I want to talk about the exact opposite. Instead of new TV shows I am watching I’m going to discuss old TV shows I have yet to see.


I usually feel a little anxious to get back to my regularly scheduled programming during the summer hiatus and this year is no different. What is different is that I have a sweet home theatre PC ready to soak up and squeeze out any TV show my heart desires. Sure, I can watch Conan now that Hulu works with my remote but what about all the shows I hear about but simply have never gotten around to? I’m sure everyone has that pile of books that are “to be read”. Well, my TV is no different. And the project has already begun.


What I’ve started watching

  • Spaced Currently about 3 episodes in. At this time I like it but I still don’t see what all the huge fuss is about. It’s a solid Brit-Com and there’s a lot of talent in there but it doesn’t get nearly the laugh count of IT Crowd or Black Books.
  • Battlestar GalacticaFinished the mini-series and am not starting the actual season one episodes. I was waiting for it to end so I could just watch it straight through. After Sarah Connor Chronicles was canceled I had this huge gaping hole where sci-fi used to live. I tried to fill it by finishing Stargate and have now moved on to this.


Still to get to

  • 30 Rock OK, I’ll admit it. I’m biased against this show because it started in the same season as Studio 60 and I threw my lot in with Aaron Sorkin. I like Tina Fey. I hate Tracy Morgan. Let’s see what happens.
    P.S. I did see the first episode or two a while back and wasn’t that impressed. But it’s streaming on Netflix so it’s easily available and therefore gets a second third chance.
  • Big Bang TheoryIt sounded like a US version of the IT Crowd so I put it on low priority. Now the creator is speaking at TAM (The Amazing Meeting) and a bunch of people I know swear by it so season one is waiting to be shoved into my eye holes.
  • It’s Always Sunny in PhiladelphiaJust never got around to this one. The commercials made it look “eh” and the fact that it was on FX didn’t do anything for it either. I now hear that not only is it hilarious but also the same guys want to do a sci-fi version.
  • SupernaturalI have no excuse on this one. Jess, one of my nerd-barista-friends recommended this to me when it was in its first or second season and I just never bothered with it. Suddenly it’s getting write ups left and right at the end of this past season. Literate Buffy comparisons? Dark takes on power and good vs. evil? Looks like it’s time to drop my prejudice against Honky McPaleface (Dean from Gilmore Girls) and settle down with a mini-marathon.
  • The Wire/Carnivàle/DeadwoodA triple threat recommendation from someone I work with. His tastes lean heavily towards the snobby, hyper-literate and avant-garde so of course I’ll trust him.
  • Twin PeaksHow have I gone this long without seeing this show? I honestly have no idea. Fox Mulder in a dress, here I come!


And that’s what’s lined up on my television plate. There are little things like Party Down and other shows that I’ll try to get around to but this is my heavy hitter list. And next up I’ll be writing up a list of shows I have seen but deserve a marathon or re-watching. And anyone I know is invited to join me for those.



Question of the post: Any TV shows that aren’t on the list that I simply must see? Drop ‘em in the comments and I’ll let you know if I’ve seen them or not. If not then perhaps I’ll take your advice and add them to this list.

No comments: