Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Carma

I have not been sleeping well of late.  The other night I laid awake in bed for the same amount of time I lay there sleeping (3 hours for each, in case you're wondering).  Last night I managed to get a full 7 hours of sleep, which is actually a bit more than average for me.  However, I've still been floating through the day with my head somewhere else.

After lunch I get out of my car and realize that I'm forgetting something.  So I search my pockets and come up empty of headphones.  I look into my car and it dawns on me that my regular headphone are in my messenger bag.  Which I left at my apartment when I was there for lunch.  Crap.  Well, maybe I have another set laying about on the back seat or something.  So I fumble for my keys.  And that's when I realize that those keys are what I was trying to find when I patted down my pockets.

My father ends up rushing over, from not too far away, with my spare set to get my keys back from the ignition.  I told him he didn't need to rush since I'd be at work for hours but he wanted to get it over with.  As he walks out of the office a co-worker comes in asking if anyone can spare a few minutes to help jump his car.  And I leap at the chance.  I don't buy into fate or karma or anything like that but just the fact that I suddenly have the ability to get into my car and he needs help to start his- It had a nice symmetry.  I think it's more of a pay it forward feeling or possibly the greedy concept of hoping someone will snap up the chance to help me again some day, but I instantly got up without any hesitation and jumped his car.  I was happy to be able to get into my car to start up his and I hope down the road I'll get help when I need it.  And it wasn't that hard to do.

It wasn't a life changing moment.  It wasn't any kind of epiphany or awakening or gnostic breakthrough.  It just felt really nice that mere seconds after my father rushed to help me after I simply asked I could do the same for someone else.

And that was my moment of carma for the day.

No comments: