Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

An open letter to Hulu

I'd just like to say that I eat lunch at home during the work day and loved that I could sit down and stream a show with no wait.  I have been telling my friends about Hulu since it went beta and then public.  People came up to me and said how funny it was that it took this long to get ads for Hulu on TV when we've been using it as per my recommendation for a long time already.  And when Boxee came out and I got in on that beta I was thrilled to watch Hulu, commercials and all, on my TV.
And now I hear that you pulled support for Boxee.  The point of Hulu is to get TV on demand, through the internet and with advertising so the network providers still prosper.  How does insuring that it not show up on a TV screen and only small monitors help your network partners?  How does limiting the convenience of a good product help anyone?

I would really like to know what the issue is.  People who use Boxee are probably tech savvy and will probably find some other way of watching their shows on their TVs.  Since networks are legally obligated to NOT put locked flags on their  broadcasts bittorrent looks like a viable and even legal (as of this moment) alternative.  And of course, the networks won't get numbers or advertising revenue from that.

If you can actually tell me the thought that went into this then let me know because me and a lot of people I know are completely baffled by an internet TV provider's fear of televisions.

No comments: