Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2008

I need volunteers for a science experiment.

Who wants to try audio drugs... for science?!  After a lull in bastardism I'm reading Warren Ellis again.  That means I'm reading about crazy things you can (and are) shove(ing) in your brain hole.  And that reminded me.

A while back there was an unsuccessful attempt by the media to freak out parents over binaural beatsBinarual beats occur when you play two different tones at specific frequencies.  When they hit each other they cause interference patterns that result in a lower pulse.  There are some who think that the lower pulse, if tuned correctly, can affect the brain.  I want help in finding out.

Drop me a comment on this or, if you'd rather, an e-mail.  If selected the experiment will be carried out as follows:
  • I will send you links to a list of the types of "drugs" I have set up.  I will then ask what your cofort range for the experiment is.
  • I will then send each person a file or two.  The "drugs" will be within whatever that person labled as OK for them, but the samples will be blind so no one knows what drug they are getting.
  • Each drug will come with instructions on how to listen to it.  The lengths are mostly 30 minutes but some are as short as 5 or as long as 50 minutes.
  • I will also include an outline of the information I expect back in a short report on what happened while listening and after.
  • As a prize I will give each person any of the audio drugs from the full catalogue, labled of course.  Or, if that's not to your liking I can offer something else of interest, such as unproduced movie scripts, unaired TV pilots or something else to your liking for being such a good sport.
While I'm sure that a lot of the descriptions are pomp and a bit rediculous, I'm sure that they do try to stimulate the corresponding areas of the brain.  If they succeed, ah, that's what this is all about.

And we're not just talking straight drugs here.  Yes, there are files to simulate illegal and prescription drugs.  But there are also files that aim to trigger brainwaves that are normally associated with lucid dreaming or certain parts of a sleep cycle or even alertness.  And they're just sound files so they're totally legal.  Well, from a drug perspective.  I'm sure the RIAA will try to sue someone somehow.  They always do.

That's my pitch.  If you're interested, let me know by e-mail or leaving a comment.  All comments will be screened so there's no need to worry about who sees you responding.  I'm eager to get this rolling (no pun intended).  I mean, it would be awesome to be able to load up your mp3 player and get stoned on long drives (as a passenger!) but if they really work?  To be able to tune your brain between different wavelengths at will.  That's so tempting.

So, who wants to go for a ride?

No comments: