Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2007

The floodening

It's been a few crazy days, hasn't it? On Monday I decided to go out and get into the down and dirty a bit. Not with the VA thing, with the flood here in Jersey. So I left my house, grabbed my SLR and tripod and went out into the water. I steered clear of the really bad places like Bound Brook. I was curious, but didn't want to get in the way. There's a column about Bound Brook businesses by Peter Applebom, but you might need Times Select to get it (free if you're a student, and while I can't send from my old account I can still get e-mails from it). I also didn't want to get stuck and loose my car. Below the break are few shots I took.

Dam facility where 18 and 1 meet. That's the dam.  And yes, that shed has slid through a fence. Other side of the bridge I'm standing on. It looks like the pavement collapsed after the dirt below was washed away. From the distance I didn't even get the scale of those pipes and pumps until those guys got there.  You can see one of two (that I counted) sump pumps chugging away. Those fences aren't usually under water. And a  wide-angel long exposure from above.  Don't worry, there was a small ledge.  I'm not standing on the dam. Bridge into Milltown. There is usually a lot more space between the water and the bridge. That's a railway bridge.  The bottom is already submerged.  What you can't see are the ledges that people usually sit on and fish off of.  They are probably under 7 or 8 feet of water right now. If you look at this shot and the one above you can see trees and shrubs half submerged.  At upper left you can make out the post office's parking lot/pond.

No comments: